Fresh tomatoes contain all four major carotenoids: alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. They are the number one dietary source for lycopene, which helps reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. They provide large amounts of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
Vibe Swap: Choose fresh organic tomatoes in place of canned tomatoes. Canned foods often contain BPA, a chemical that is known to cause birth defects and linked to cancer, diabetes, obesity and heart disease. Canned foods come along with the risk of aluminum leaking into the food and tend to have added preservatives that can wreak havoc on your hormones.
Enjoy this creamy soup that features fresh tomatoes! The cashew cream provides a creamy richness combined with the heavenly flavours of basil and tomatoes.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups of fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 cups of vegan broth
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Place the cashews in a bowl and add the water. The water should cover the nuts evenly. Let them soak for a minimum of 20-minutes.
- In a large pot add the avocado oil and onions over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, let simmer for about 5-minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and vegan broth to the pot. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer with the lid on for 15-minutes.
- Add the basil. Let all the ingredients simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Puree the cashews and water in a food processor or high-powered blender until it looks like a thick cream. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Working in batches if needed, place the tomato soup mixture in a high-powered blender and puree on high. When all the soup is pureed, place it back in the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Whisk in the cashew cream, add salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- This soup is best served hot.