Deck the halls with cups of green juice,
Tis the season to sleep ‘n stay loose, Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la!
While we take time to deck our halls and celebrate with family and friends, we all want to indulge a little. And there are some practical and easy-to-fit into your routine tips you can incorporate this holiday season to maintain your healthy lifestyle. The holidays can be stressful enough without worrying about maintaining your health and fitness goals. We want to help make this holiday season a healthy one!
Top Ten Tips for a Healthy Holiday Season!
- Avoid sweets! SUGAR + BAKING = a mess for your body to digest! If you’re out and feel the need to indulge in something sweet, opt for some fruit (mandarin oranges and apples are plentiful this time of year) or treat your body to a fresh pressed juice filled with nutrient dense ingredients like kale and pineapple! FYI – real friends don’t gift friends with baking 😉
- Get your ZZZ: If you have some time off, take advantage of some extra sleep – aim for 8 hours/night. You’ll feel rested and will be better able to make healthy choices.
- Don’t go to a party hungry: Be sure to have a healthy snack or small meal beforehand, and you’ll make wiser decisions when you’re there!
- Book your workouts in advance. When life gets busy it’s important to stay organized, and booking your workouts in advance will help you stay on track. Just 3 classes at Pure Vibe a week will maintain all your hard work! So whatever you do, keep up your training as those who fall off the cliff over the holidays have a tough climb ahead of them come January.
- When possible, avoid “THE BUFFET” and opt for an a la carte meal when planning your holiday parties. You’re more likely to make smarter food choices this way. If you do attend buffets, take advantage of the salads and veggies!
- Keep moving! No matter if you’re away in Mexico, or you go to stay with your Aunt Libby in 100 Mile House. Keep moving throughout the day because if you don’t use it, you will loose it! Most destinations have pools to swim in, gyms to sweat in, beaches to run on and mountains to climb! Always pack a yoga mat, bathing suit, runners and plenty of workout gear so you’re covered!
- Don’t know what to do with that box of chocolates your neighbour gave you? Let it be known to your friends and family that you are working hard to stay healthy and fit over the holiday season. If someone gifts you any sweets or baking, take it to work for sharing, or donate it to the food bank or charity of your choice!
- Count your bites (and plan them too if you can!). The average party appetizer bite can contain a lot more calories then you might think! Track what you’re eating either mentally or with the help of an electronic or paper food log so that you don’t go over board.
- Looking for a holiday activity? Avoid baking treats and sweets that don’t serve your body. Opt for cooking wholesome foods with nutritious ingredients, or engage in a craft if you enjoy hands on activities!
- Stay hydrated. Be sure to maintain your water intake to 3-4L/day and if you consume alcohol aim for more.
Don’t be shy! Share your goals this holiday season with your friends, family and co-workers! Enroll them into helping you uphold your healthy habits. Those who uphold their health and fitness during the holidays will have an easier time reaching their goals in 2015 and will feel better when the New Year rings in!
From all of us at Pure Vibe, we wish you a wonderful, healthy and prosperous holiday season and New Year!