Spiced lentil soup is a great addition to your recipe collection. This recipe takes only 15 minutes to prep, and 20 minutes to cook. It’s delicious, vegan, and perfect for a thermos to pack to school or work. Full of flavour, fibre, and very easy on your budget. This recipe is from Oh She Glows. http://ohsheglows.com/2016/04/03/glowing-spiced-lentil-soup/
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice (398 ml)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (398 ml)
- ¾ cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 package baby spinach (140 grams)
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- In large pot, simmer onion and garlic in olive oil. Sautee for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. Sauté another minute till fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice), entire can on coconut milk, lentils, broth, salt and pepper.
- Stir well, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Turn off heat, and add baby spinach. Add limejuice to taste. Serve.