Seasonal bright pink beets and bundles of asparagus are available this time of year. In Vancouver, these veggies can be found at the local farmer’s markets starting in June.
Beets pack a punch of nutrients and contain very few calories. They’ve been found to improve blood pressure, athletic performance, and digestive health. Take advantage of this power house vegetable that grows locally!
Asparagus is another veggie loaded with nutrition. It’s a great source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E, and K. One of our favourite benefits is that it can enhance the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
Enjoy making this warm salad for your next pot-luck at Kits Beach, or for dinner on the patio this summer!
- Medium sized beets with the greens attached, 1 bunch (or roughly 1.5 pounds)
- Large garlic cloves, 6
- Extra virgin olive oil, 3 TBSP + more for drizzling
- Pink salt and pepper, to taste
- Asparagus, 1 bunch (or roughly 1 pound)
- Apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP
- Spring Mix, 6 cups
- Hemp Seeds, 2 TBSP
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Cut off the ends of the beets (the greens attached to it). You can toss the stems for this recipe but save the nutritious greens. Halve the beets. On a medium sized baking dish, add the beets and peeled garlic cloves. Drizzle olive oil over the beets and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and roast for approximately one hour (or until the beets are tender). Remove from the oven and let cool.
- On a second baking sheet, place the asparagus evenly. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, or until lightly cooked so that you can easily poke through with a fork. Let cool and cut into 3-cm sizes pieces.
- Chop the beet greens, and rinse clean. Pat dry or shake off excess water. In a medium sized pan, lightly sauté the greens in olive oil. You want to cook them just long enough to wilt the greens – but be careful not to overcook them.
- Now that the beets have cooled, peel and cut them into 2-cm pieces. Squeeze the garlics out of their skin, and place in a medium sized bowl. Add the vinegar and 3 TBSP of olive oil and whisk together.
- Add the beets, asparagus, spring mix, hemp seeds and toss with the dressing. Enjoy!