This spicy vegan stew is high in protein, minerals, fiber and flavour! If you’re transitioning to a plant-based diet, this is a great replacement for a traditional meat-stew.
The Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts are high in nutrients, rich in antioxidants, help fight against cancer and reduce inflammation. Using your choice of green or brown lentils in this recipe, it’s packed with protein and will keep you full for hours.
This hearty stew pairs perfectly with a fresh green salad making it the ideal post VIBE dinner during a busy week.
- Hemp oil, 2 tablespoons
- Yellow onion, 1 large sized, finely chopped
- Red pepper, 1 large pepper, finely chopped
- Carrots, 3 medium carrots, finely chopped and grated
- Celery, 2 stalks, finely chopped and grated
- Cabbage, ½ of a head, shredded
- Garlic, 6 cloves, minced
- Pink Himalayan Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Vegan broth, 8 cups
- Green or brown lentils, 1 ½ cups
- Brussels sprouts, 1 pound (10 large ones), shredded, about 3 cups worth total.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*, 1 ½ tablespoons
- Avocado, 1 large, pitted and chopped into chunks.
- Lime, 1, juiced
- Cilantro, to taste
- Apple Cider Vinegar, ¼ cup
- Spring Mix, 3 cups
- Pumpkin Seeds, ¼ cup
*Instead of using canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (which risk BPA contamination, preservatives and other yucky chemicals you don’t want to consume), try making this recipe – make a batch of it and have it on hand to flavour all sorts of stews!
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, red pepper, carrots, celery, cabbage, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stirring often, cook until the veggies are tender.
- Next add the vegan stock, lentils, 1 ½ cups of the shredded Brussels sprouts, chipotles, salt and bring the mix to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, or until the lentils are al dente.
- Taste the stew – add more salt and pepper to taste if needed, or more stock to create the ideal consistency you want.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the rest of the shredded Brussels sprouts, the spring mix, the avocado, the pumpkin seeds, lime juice, apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt. Stir until well combined.
- Divide the soup into bowls, and garnish with the salad.