Week # 2 Slim Tip: Swap Spinach for Pasta
Eating carb-heavy meals is one the fastest ways to accelerate aging, gain weight and tank your energy levels. You have probably tried zucchini zoodles by now (which are delicious), but have you heard of the spinach swap?
The next time you make your favourite pasta sauce, simply swap the noodles for spinach.
Spinach is an incredibly healthy food offering a spectrum of nutrients. It decreases oxidative stress, promotes eye health and helps prevent heart disease and cancer. On top of this, it helps improve your skin complexion and lowers blood pressure. It’s readily available in organic form all year long, making it an easy substitute to have on hand!
How to prepare spinach for pasta:
- Simply sauté in olive oil, garlic and onions and then mix it in with your pasta sauce. Make sure to use a lotof spinach, as it shrinks while cooking. Of course you can add your favorite vegetables such as mushrooms. The lemon zest sauce below pairs well with this.
Lemon Garlic Pasta Sauce (Vegan, Grain-Free and Sugar-Free)
- 1 cup raw cashes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon
- Pink salt, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
*Note, for best results, soak the cashews in water over night. In a pinch, you can soak them for an hour in very hot water and then use.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine the cashews, garlic, water, lemon juice, and pink salt. Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the sautéed spinach “pasta”.
- Heat and toss well so all the spinach is covered.
- Garnish your bowl with lemon zest and parsley.
- Enjoy right away!