Kombucha heals your gut and mind while satisfying your taste buds! Once you understand the basics of how to brew kombucha at home, you can have a lot of fun flavouring it and adding different healing properties to your booch. We wrote a piece on “Home Brewing Booch 101” – so be sure to go read that article too to understand the basics of brewing kombucha at home.
Any sugar free drink that leaves your body nourished, your gut happy and your mouth watering is a VIBE LIFE drink. Consider this your summer drinking lieu of alcohol – the fizz and sour delight will easily replace any alcoholic beverage and is the perfect nightcap!
How to Brew Your Own ‘Booch: 2 L Jar Batch Recipe
- 1 POT TO BOIL WATER
- 6 CUPS [TOTAL] FILTERED WATER
- 2 TEABAGS or 2TSP LOOSE LEAF TEA BLACK and GREEN.
- 1/2 CUP ORGANIC CANE SUGAR
- 1/2 CUP STARTER TEA* (see instructions below)
- 1 SCOBY
- 1/4 CUP LEMON JUICE (2 LEMONS)
- 2 TSP DRIED LAVENDER BLOSSOMS
- 2 LITRE CLEAN GLASS BREWING JAR
- 4 16 OUNCE GLASS JARS
- BREATHABLE LID & RUBBER BAND
*Starter tea is previously brewed kombucha or kombucha bought from the store. Choose one that isn’t flavoured and is just pure natural kombucha. This will be added to your tea to infuse it with the bacteria your kombucha needs to start growing.
Let’s Get Brewing:
- IN POT, BOIL 2 CUPS WATER
- ADD TEA. PLACE LID ON. STEEP 5-8 MINS
- REMOVE TEA BAGS & DISCARD
- ADD SUGAR. STIR UNTIL DISSOLVED
- ADD 4 CUPS COLD WATER
- COOL TO ROOM TEMPERATURE
- ONCE COOLED, POUR INTO CLEAN GLASS BREWING JAR
- POUR IN 1/2CUP STARTER TEA
- WITH CLEAN HANDS, GENTLY ADD SCOBY
- COVER WITH BREATHABLE CLOTH. SEAL TIGHT WITH RUBBER-BAND
- NAME & DATE YOUR BREW
- PLACE JAR IN WARM, DARK CLOSET
- CHECK IN 10 DAYS
- REMOVE THE SCOBY AND PLACE IN A CLEAN JAR, YOU WILL USE THIS IN YOUR NEXT BATCH
- DIVIDE THE BOOCH IN DRINKING SIZED BOTTLES (WE USED 16-OUNCE BOTTLES) AND ADD ABOUT 1 TABLESPOON OF LEMON JUICE AND 1/2 TEASPOON OF DRIED LAVENDER BLOSSOMS IN EACH BOTTLE.
- LEAVE ABOUT 2 CENTEMETERS OF SPACE FROM THE TOP OF YOUR JARS, AND SEAL THE LIDS TIGHTLY. LET YOUR BOTTLES FERMENT FOR 48-H AT ROOM TEMPERTURE, AND THEN MOVE THEM TO THE FRIDGE TO BE ENJOYED.