This family-friendly recipe packs a whole lot of heart-healthy super foods into one tasty bowl of oatmeal happiness. This creamy recipe is gluten free and naturally sweet without added sugars. Mix and match the super food toppers to create a new bowl everyday. And you can have this on the table in just 15 minutes—perfect for busy mornings.
Oatmeal is high in soluble fiber, proven to reduce levels of cholesterol and keep you feeling full. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants, and research shows 3 servings a week can reduce your risk of heart attack by one third. A recent study of heart patients found a daily dose of pomegranate improved blood flow to the heart. The flavonoids and polyphenols in dark (not milk) chocolate can help reduce blood pressure, clotting and inflammation. Ground flax seeds are an excellent source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Almonds, walnuts, pistachios and macadamia nuts are full of fiber and vitamin E, which help lower levels of bad cholesterol.
Recipe for Heart-healthy Oatmeal Super Bowls
- 2 cups gluten free organic old fashioned oats
- 3-¼ cups cold water
- 1-2 organic medium bananas (mashed very well)
- Super Food Organic Toppings: dark chocolate chunks or shavings, blueberries, pomegranate, ground flax seeds, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts
- Mash banana(s) with a fork to a puree.
- Place cold water in pot. Whisk in banana puree until well combined.
- Add the oats to the cold water/banana mixture. Then turn on the stove to medium-high heat. As soon as the mixture reaches a simmer, turn heat to low, and cook to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Usually less that 10 minutes.
- Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls, and personalize with heart-healthy toppings too.