Treat your family to a vibrant, savory salad by Vancouver food blogger Brianne of Natural Girl Modern World. http://www.naturalgirlmodernworld.com/home/curry-apple-salad-with-spiced-chickpeas. Brianne’s delicious combination of crisp, sweet, crunchy and savory hits all the marks!
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ cup pecans
- 142 grams (5 oz) mixed organic greens
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced
- ¾ cup glazed pecans (above)
- 1 can chickpeas (425 grams, 15 oz)
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Madras curry powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Start by making the glazed pecans to allow them to cool before adding to salad. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tsp coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add maple syrup and whisk to combine.
- Bring mixture to a bubble, then remove from heat. Add pecans and toss to coat well.
- Transfer pecans to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread to single layer.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until fragrant, stirring halfway through. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thoroughly drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas.
- In bowl, pour melted coconut oil over chickpeas and toss to coat.
- Add curry powder, cumin powder, cinnamon, garlic powder, and sea salt. Toss to mix.
- Transfer to baking sheet, bake 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Chickpeas should be firm and dry.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- In small bowl combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, curry powder, cumin powder, cardamom, maple syrup, sea salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine salad greens, chopped cucumber, sliced apples, and glazed pecans.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss well. Top with spiced chickpeas and serve. Enjoy!