As summer’s warmth turns to cooler evenings, nothing warms the soul better than a bowl of homemade soup! This Apple Corn and Butternut Squash Soup is by Lucy at Turnip the Oven, a vegetable-focused blogger who features fresh, seasonal ingredients. http://turniptheoven.com/apple-corn-and-butternut-squash-soup-with-curry/
Apple Corn Butternut Squash Soup
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (optional)
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped
1 ½ pounds butternut squash, about 5 cups, peeled and diced
2 cups fresh or frozen non-GMO corn kernels
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. garam masala
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup coconut milk, plus more for serving
Chopped fresh mint for serving
- Heat oil in large pot, add chopped onion and jalapeño and saute until onion translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and butternut squash cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, salt, curry, cumin, garam masala, pepper, and cook till fragrant,about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer partially covered, until squash is tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender, stir in coconut milk.
- Makes 6 servings. Serve with an additional swirl of coconut milk and chopped mint.